Friday, December 14, 2007

Kokopelli Triathlon 2007

Notice the dark clouds in the background?

Well, this was the only triathlon I was planning for this year. I wasn't as ready as I felt I should have been so I think I secretly wished I wouldn't have to race. I jinxed the whole thing!!! After getting up way early and getting ready in the dark with lanterns, (we were camping out,) then getting in the water and warming up, they cancelled the race. Actually I did get to race the swim portion, but as I was coming out of the water and running to my transition area, the girl next to me said it was being called off and that somebody was going to die out there. Then I looked around and noticed how bad the weather was. All the tents were blowing around and people were running, trying to take cover. The announcer kept repeating that this was the hardest decision a race official has to make. I guess after I thought about it, the swim did seem a little bumpy and I had to breathe on the side opposite the wind or I'd get water in my mouth. I also had felt the rain drops, but it really didn't seem that bad. I was to focused on the race to notice. There were people from the olympic division who were already out on their bikes. I started to worry for them. It did get pretty windy.

Bryant and my dad didn't even get to race in the water. They announced the cancellation right after the women had left. So I found the rest of my family pretty easily, even amongst everyone running everywhere. Usually at the end of the race they have all sorts of food and drinks and stuff at the tables. Since they weren't having an end of a race and they had tons of food, they were giving complete boxes away to anyone left who would take them. So we took like two boxes of cookies and a box of energy bars back to our camp site.

I was a little happy I didn't have to race on the bike, but I was really sad, because it was the only race I had planned the whole season. Oh well, I'll be ready next season so I don't have to jinx the race. We're already signed up for the St. George Tri. (OLYMPIC!)

0 comments: